No evidence of “forever chemicals” was found in processed foods. A survey of nationally distributed processed foods, including several processed baby foods, found no detectable trace of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) — so-called manmade “forever chemicals” used in a wide range of consumer and industrial products. The Environmental Working Group says that hundreds of everyday products are made with highly toxic fluorinated chemicals called PFAS. They build up in our bodies and never break down in the environment. Very small doses of PFAS have been linked to cancer, reproductive and immune system harm, and other diseases. The newly released results are from a survey that included nationally distributed processed foods, including certain baby foods, frozen foods, and foods in cans, boxes, or jars, which are less likely to vary by location or time of year and are generally considered nonperishable.
Milk may be in the crab cake meal. As of September 2, Weis Markets in Maryland and Pennsylvania are taking in-store $7 Crab Cake Meal off the shelves for not declaring milk (an allergen) on its label.
Undeclared walnuts and more may be lurking in carrot cake. Carrot cake fans in northern Illinois be warned! The Baking Institute Bakery Co., of Northbrook, Illinois, is recalling its carrot cake as of September 2 because it may contain undeclared walnuts, coconut, and milk.
The orange biscuit may also have milk. KBF Inc. of Astoria, New York, put out a recall on August 31 for its 8.11-ounce packages of “Banoful Top Orange Biscuit” food treats because they may contain undeclared milk allergens.
Beware salmonella and listeria contamination in dog food. As of August 26, Top Quality Dog Food of Hyattsville, Maryland, is recalling “Beef HVM” one-pound packages due to potential contamination with salmonella and listeria bacteria. The products may not only affect animals eating them, but they also pose a risk to humans handling these contaminated products.
Earlier in August, the FDA had sent a warning letter to the pet food manufacturer Midwestern Pet Foods because an inspection had found high levels ofaflatoxin, a poisonous substance produced by certain molds that can cause illness and death in pets. The agency suspects that more than 130 deaths and 220 illnesses in dogs may have been caused by the dog food brand Midwestern Pet Foods.
Bloody Mary mix may spell trouble for those with soy and wheat allergies. Jimbo’s Kitchen, DBA New England Cupboard, is recalling Jimbo’s Bloody Mary Mix because it contains undeclared soy, wheat, and sulfites on products manufactured 8/23/2019 through 8/23/2021. The product was distributed to local retail, boutique, and mom-and-pop stores in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Minnesota.
Lox may pose a health risk. Loki Fish Company of Seattle warned on August 23 that four-ounce packages of its Keta Salmon Lox (UPC code 92103 00111) may be contaminated with listeria. It was also sold at the University District and West Seattle Farmers Markets in Washington and there are no “best by” dates on the package.