As pet parents, we’re all aware of how crates are important for housebreaking as well as providing a place for your best friend to retreat and relax at the end of the day. But did you know that crate covers play an equally important role in creating the right environment- namely a dark, quiet and safe space in which Fido can rest as she gets in touch with her wilder instincts. You see, her cousin the wolf has since time immemorial tended to seek out such quiet and safe havens to hide, sleep and raise her young, characteristics that are mimicked by crates and crate covers.
Jump to Section
- Why Are Dog Crate Covers Important?
- Why Use A Dog Crate Cover?
- 4 Types of Dog Crate Covers
- Top 3 Dog Crate Covers Reviewed
- Sharing Is Caring 🙂
Why Are Dog Crate Covers Important?
In its most basic form, a dog crate cover is simply a fitting piece of material that is draped on the dog crate structure. When used in combination with a well-made dog crate, a pet crate cover not only offers your furry pal a welcome get-away from our hectic modern world but also gives her a safe place to kick back and relax while you’re busy with other things. Needless to say, covered dog crates are also great for toilet training and moving around with your pet, while also providing a decent bed for your pooch.
Many dog owners who use wired crates can bear witness to how difficult it is to create a cozy atmosphere for your pet when she’s practically exposed to the whole world. But with a crate cover, you can get around this problem by controlling any negative external stimuli that may cause her anxiety. This is especially true when you bring home a new pet. Canines in strange environments are easily wound up by small changes in their surroundings that can lead to barking fits which can get very annoying. Dog crate covers give your pup time to adjust to their new environment by providing a comforting and familiar feel around them. If your dog is very reactive to her immediate surroundings, placing a crate cover over the crate will stop them from seeing strange things that might cause them anxiety and hence reduce the barking.
When it comes to protecting Fido from harsh weather conditions dog crate covers are a great solution because they help trap heat, provide shade and shelter her from wind, rain or snow. The fact that they also come in various sizes means they can be used in combination with different kinds of indoor or outdoor containment. They also make your interactions with your pup that much more fun when they have roll-up doors that provide easy access during play time.
Apart from being useful for during training, sleeping and while travelling crate covers can be indispensable in aiding your dog’s recovery and rehabilitation following a medical procedure.
It goes without saying that whatever dog crate cover you select you must be sure it makes a good fit for the dog crate itself.
Why Use A Dog Crate Cover?
By now you’re probably wondering if there’s really any difference between a proper dog crate cover and a blanket draped over your pup’s crate. Most dog professionals will tell you that blankets are highly unsuitable for use as covers because canines tend to chew on anything they can sink their teeth into. Puppies are especially prone to this habit during teething as are recuperating dogs which chew on things as a way of alleviating boredom and anxiety. This is why using a proper cover is recommended to avoid emergency situations where your pet chews on and ingests her blanket cover. Placing a loose fitting cover over the dog crate can also cause you trip while carrying the crate. A blanket can also reduce air circulation within the crate especially if it’s made from heavy material. These are just some of the reasons why it’s important to choose a dog crate cover that is designed to fit the crate you’re using.
4 Types of Dog Crate Covers
1. Wood Dog Crate Covers
It’s not often that you find a wooden crate cover that comes separate from a dog crate. The two are normally sold together in an all-in-one design. The advantage of a wooden dog crate cover is that it has a dual purpose both as a crate and a table, which makes very convenient for dog owners who live in small rooms or living spaces!
2. Insulated Dog Crate Covers
Insulated dog crate covers are great for keeping your dog comfortable in during harsh weather. If you’re the kind of person who likes to take winter trips with your dog they are especially good at providing safety and protection from the extreme outdoor weather.
3. Waterproof Dog Crate Covers
Waterproof dog crate covers not only help keep your pets warm and dry during the cold wet season but are also designed to fit a variety of dog crate sizes. Each has its own ventilation system that’s designed to keep the air circulating inside your dog’s crate and at the same time keep damp air out.
4. Soundproof Dog Crate Covers
Although currently there are no means of soundproofing a dog crate a hundred percent, there are some all-in-one kennels and crates in the market that have gone a long way in trying to address this issue. They are made from sound absorbing materials that muffle the barking noise from your dog. These materials also help create a relatively dark and warm crate that is just ideal for sleeping.
Top 3 Dog Crate Covers Reviewed
1. Big 4 in 1 Dog Crate Cover/Car Seat & Furniture Protector
- Comes in a large 42" x 30" x 28" size ideal for medium-large breeds and affords your pet plenty of room to move.
- Ties securely to the crate thanks to hoop ties that are attached at the bottom that prevent it from slipping off. They can be cut and tied like shoe laces or looped under.
- Made of ULTRA-STRONG and DURABLE microfiber renowned for its toughness and ability to withstand washing without shrinking. Color blends in beautifully with furniture.
- This cover is thick enough to block out light, yet thin enough to fold snugly into a package that’s easy to launder in your washing machine or to carry in any bag during trips.
- Its ANTI-BACTERIAL and DIRT-REPELLENT characteristics enable it to double up as a wet dog towel or as a general furniture and car seat protector. It has both a rough and smooth side that’s suited either for toweling or going face up on furniture.
- Its large size makes it suitable for all dog kennel sizes.
- Is made of highly durable fabric that can withstand multiple washes.
- The cover is multi-purpose and also works great as a furniture cover, car seat protector and general dog blanket and towel that packs very tightly
What We Liked:
- Its large size may not suit every pet owner’s needs.
What We Didn’t Like:
2. Floppy Dawg Crate Cover
- It’s easy to put on, take off, and adjust with no zippers or straps and folds and stores like a blanket. You can throw it on like a tablecloth when in use and pull it off when you’re done..
- Its innovative and flexible design makes it suitable for covering smaller crate sizes by billowing on the sides and back. You have the option of using it as a cover when your dog is crated or using it as a blanket when he’s not.
- Made from quality material -100 percent polar fleece- that’s lightweight and breathable which makes it anti-pilling, machine washable and capable of drying very quickly.
- Provides a great way of reducing stress and barking by making your dog feel safe, secure and relaxed thanks to its private cozy den-like attributes.
- Its dynamic design makes it suitable for all kinds of dog crates.
- It’s adjustable and easy to put on and take off your dog crate, making it less tedious to use.
- Easy to carry around due to its light weight.
What We Liked:
- On the pricey for its size and limitations
- Only covers 3 sides of the crates; not suitable for crates with side door access.
What We Didn’t Like:
3. Modern Brown & White Designer Dog Pet Wire Kennel Crate Cage House Cover
- Comes with two panels that roll down for full closure, and snap to keep it open for easy access.
- Comes in 16 new pattern designs with 4 different sizes to suit your taste.
- Stylish and relaxing, well-ventilated environment conducive for your dog’s sleep
- Strong, machine washable fabric
- Bacteria and mold resistant
What We Liked:
- The 4 sides can be rolled up and secured at the top quite easily and efficiently
What We Didn’t Like:
- Doesn’t have a lining and is difficult to spot clean.
- Colors are quite gaudy and don't blend in with furniture very well
- Material not very cozy and appears to shrink quite quickly after multiple washes
- More expensive than similar covers in its class